The Honda Cuby “T10” Small Engine Collectible

IMG_4239

Small engines with high-output seems anymore to be a foreign tradition compared to their US counterparts. The Honda Cuby or “T10” engine was no exception. Especially when you consider the year was 1962 and it’s about the size of coca-cola bottle!

IMGCUBY

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfFHpquYYco&w=420&h=315]

The “T10” was a unique engine that Honda exclusively developed for one reason, “Education”. It wasn’t made to be used for any real-life applications or as an add-on. It did however have add-on’s per-say like a generator & a dust blower! Regardless of it’s reasoning, it’s still an awesome little engine that only few people either own or have on display in their collections.

DSC05814

Offered like a set of Lego’s, the Honda Cuby was sold exclusively to Honda dealers in both the US & Europe for promotional or display purposes at a $15.00 US price tag. Honda released an official Bulletin (in our gallery below) noting that only 800 were available and dealers could order up too 10 maxi.  Interesting Honda at the time states that roughly ‘1,800 qualified dealers’ could order, so it’s quite possible to do the math and figure only half of the dealers got the Cuby due to the 10 maxi placed.

Very little information is known about the specifics of the deal, but information from Honda themselves suggests all units were sold, there were two color options (red & silver), some units were found and sold in the early 1970’s and a small amount of them were used for vo-tech purposes at Tama-Tech in 1961. The engine was also believed to be extremely similar to Honda’s first portable generator (Honda E40), which was sold exclusively to power Sony’s portable TV’s at the time.

IMG_2544_convert_20110110054431

3972029230_7e2786caa8_z

Pictured above  is a shot of the recently closed Tama-Tech amusement park in 2009. Tama Tech was established in 1961 at Hino, Tokyo, to operate the Motopia Amusement Park as a facility at Suzuka Circuitland. It was Honda’s idea to not only help the support of the Suzuka Circuit but to get kids involved in mobile racing. Behind the scenes was a vocational program to help kids understand engine building and maintenance, which is where the use of the Honda Cuby came into play.

What’s interesting about the Cuby was not only it’s simplicity in engine design but the fact it was only a 19.7cc in it’s displacement. The piston size alone is ‘model sized’ in the palm of your hand or to a roll of scotch tape (pictured below).

DSC05829

It’s specifications are as follows:

• Type – 4 Cycle Side Valve Engine
  • Bore & Stroke – 30mm x 28mm
  • Displacement – 19.7cc
  • Output – .15PS/3,000 RPM
  • Fuel Type – Gasoline
  • Oil – Mobil Oil (S.A.E. 20)

There even existed accessories for the Honda Cuby, which are rather odd in their functions to us here at Roots! You can see below from the Cuby Manual and in our gallery.

Cuby Assembly Instructions 35

Scaled Image 23

Today, only a handful of collectors own a Honda Cuby “T10”. Either in horrible, non-running conditions, to museum quality restorations…..each Cuby seems to have a history all to themselves of how they came to be. We’ve posted some links below to current owners who’ve posted online their Cuby’s. Here’s a LINK to a scheduled auction sale, from the Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum, on Feb. 15, 2013. It’s estimate to sale between $1,000-2,000 US dollars.

Honda-tech Link – (http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1838374)

BHondas 800 Sport Car Club (http://bhondas800sportscarclubmessageboard.runboard.com/t537)

Smoke Stak – (http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10886)

*9/7/16 – Volker Wolff has released his 94-page book for the Honda Cuby, check out the article for more – (http://hondaroots.com/2016/09/07/the-honda-cuby-t10-book-1st-editions-are-now-available/) *

All photo’s of accessories were used by permission and only for educational purposes for this article. No copyright infringement is intended. All photo’s are properties of their respected owners.

Nate Mitchell

Honda Roots Editor-in-Chief A strong SN Honda enthusiast, he currently owns an '80 XR and '81 SN Preludes, supplies parts and operates Honda Roots, Thisoldhonda.org and G1Preludes.com.

46 thoughts on “The Honda Cuby “T10” Small Engine Collectible

• January 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for this nice page.
    I would like to have contact to the owner of the “Cuby Handbook”
    I have posted the pics on honda-tech.com, including the “Honda Cuby Assembly Instructions”
    You can contact me under: hondaklassiker@gmx.de
    Thanks, Mark

• January 26, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks for the great Honda T10 Cuby report on this website.
    I have two Cuby’s and all attachments to this Cuby. Speed ​​Reduction Unit, flexible shaft with drill, blower, water pump, alternator and the control box and the Metal Mounting Plate.
    Brand new, the original “Owner Handbook”.
    Regards
    Volker

• February 23, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi , My name is Ian Ross and I have aquired 2 HONDA Cubys in the past few weeks . the second of these 2 engines was nearly complete ,,,except for the Circular Saw . Does any one out there know where I might purchase one . Regards ian Ross

• February 26, 2013 at 2:00 am

Hello Ian,
      the circulare saw has it all seeming to not given, although it is represented in the assembly instruction manual. I have the owner manual says there are all accessories, parts, not only the saw. I assume that it has understood that such a saw can be dangerous and has foregone.
      Regards
      Volker

• March 2, 2013 at 6:18 am

Hello Volker , Do you know of any possible source of spare parts for the HONDA Cuby s ? My Cuby outfit is missing the HANDLE and CHUCK for the Flexy Drive . Can you help ? Kind Regards Ian Ross

• February 28, 2013 at 8:50 am

Hello Volker , I recently (last year ) went on a visit to the HONDA Museum in MOTEGI ,Japan . There they had the Cuby Engine and all the accessories laid out . I enquired about some of the accessories ,,,But the young girl who was showing me about was unsure about the availability of such acc. like the circular saw .

• March 1, 2013 at 10:33 am

Ian, did you buy chance take any pictures while you were there of the Honda Cuby in the museum?

• March 2, 2013 at 6:13 am

hello HONDA Roots , Whilst I was in Motegi , Japan I took lots of Photos of many bikes and cars on display . as for the HONDA cuby , Ihink I only took one of the engine on diplay . Never thinking that I would be able to purchase a nearly complete Cuby Setup with most of the accessories . If I do find one of the complete set up I’ll forward it onto you . I’m missing the DRILL HANDLE & CHUCK for The FLEXY DRIVE . My reason for visiting Motegi was to look at the HONDA Cub F & FM’s on display . Regards Ian Ross

• March 6, 2013 at 10:31 am

WANTED …. ANY SPARES FOR HONDA Cuby . Anything considered . Thanks Ian Ross

• April 23, 2016 at 9:58 pm

I have a Honda cubby I’d like to sell. Contact lilnuke81@yahoo

• March 8, 2013 at 6:51 am

Don’t whatever you do contact HONDA UK . Why ? Because they don’t know anything 7 seem to go out of their way to be obstrctive .

• March 8, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hello Ian,
      please excuse my late response. I was on vacation.
      For spare parts or accessories for motor Cuby is almost impossible.
      In Ebay appear complete engines, but no accessories. I have certainly not seen any. I have. An engine with complete accessories and a second motor of only the speed reduction unit
      Greetings
      Volker

• March 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hello Volker , Thanks for this INFO . It’s what I expected to hear . Spares for anythig old by HONDA is difficult to come by. Where did you purchase your 2 Cuby’s . Wasit in Germany or the USA perhaps ? well ,, I’ll just have to keep looking on Ebay ror any spares that might turn up . Kind Regards Ian Ross

• March 9, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Hello Volker , Thank you for the info . can you tell me where you purchased you HONDA Cuby Outfit with the accessories ? Was it in Germany or in the USA ? The peices that is missing from Cuby Outfit is THE HANDLE & CHUCK FOR the FLEXI-DRIVE . Well ,, I suppose I’ll just have Keep looking on Ebay Kind Rgards Ian Ross

• March 13, 2013 at 7:03 am

Hello Volker , Thanks for the reply . where did you buy your Cuby ? Kind Regards ian Ross

• March 18, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Hello Ian,
      my Cuby I got from a friend. He had bought it many years ago by a German Honda dealer. This he got from Honda as a gift for his success in sales of Honda motorcycles.
      Regards Volker

• March 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Hello Volker , I wish I could find a HANDLE/CHUCK for this flexi drive I have . Have you any Ideas ? Regards Ian Ross

• March 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I have a Honda Cuby that I would like to sell…it came to us from a friend that owned a car dealership. It was not in a box and there are no accessories but it is in great condition! We started it up and it ran just fine. If anyone is interested you can e-mail me, I do have pics. thanks!

• October 4, 2013 at 1:26 am

Just came upon a cuby by chance! I wasnt even sure what I had found
    I’m working to start it but need specs for gap in points can anyone help?

• November 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm

When I was 16 years old I purchased a brand new, in box, Honda Cuby from Award Motors in Costa Mesa, California for $35. I had kind of forgot about it until several weeks ago when I was cleaning out the attic. Engine has never been out of the box and has tool kit, manual, etc.
      Just curious what this Honda Cuby might be worth?
      Thanks,
      John Weatherwax
      Costa Mesa, CA

• November 25, 2013 at 3:05 am

Hello Jon,
        Hi Jon,
        I think he will, if NOS, ca 1500 – be worth 2000 USD.

greeting
        Volker

• April 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Looking for some small parts for my Cuby. Heat sheild for muffler, cover for belt, and shutoff mechanism for spark plug, Thank You

• February 28, 2015 at 7:41 pm

I have a complete running silver Cuby engine for sale if anyone is interested let me know. Kirby

• May 24, 2015 at 6:17 am

Hello once again . I’m still looking for the FLEXY drive handle for my HONDA Cuby T10 or maybe the part number for this handle. Thanks. Ian. Ross

• May 24, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hi Ian ,

the accessories had no part number . We are currently writing a book in which the engine and the accessories described , dismantled and re- mounted on the motor cuby . We hope the book can still be printed this year .
    Greeting Volker

• May 25, 2015 at 5:59 am

Hello Volker , nice clean photo of your HONDA Cuby T10 . Mine is is the one painted in silver . Regards. Ian Ross

• June 18, 2015 at 5:31 am

Hello Volker , Has the HONDA Cuby book been published yet ? is there an ISBN number for your book. ? Kind. Regards. Ian Ross.

• July 27, 2015 at 7:25 am

Hello once again ,, I am still looking for a HANDLE and CHUCK for my FLEXY DRIVE . can anyone help .Part number or location of this item would be of immense help . Thanks Ian Ross

• August 1, 2015 at 7:23 am

Hello Ian,
    the book is not published. We hope the book is for sale in December.
    Regards
    Volker Wolff

• March 12, 2016 at 2:34 am

Hi do you know how much a Honda EM300U is worth? Great condition , original manual and tools , runs perfect

• December 14, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Hi, my honda cuby has the exact same engine serial number as yours in the pictures. Do I have your old one??

• March 14, 2016 at 8:39 am

I have a honda motor cub f and recently made a replica of the fuel tank.
    I made of polyethylene by rotomolding process.
    Who interested in the tank or more information about this honda engine, make contact by email,

Joab Brazil

• August 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm

The Honda Cuby Book is available. Order now at: hondacuby@gmail.com
      31.50 USD incl. Shipping (registered Letter)
      94 Pages, Full color, History, Accessories, Models, Technology

Regards
      Volker Wolff

• August 31, 2016 at 6:59 pm

The Honda Cuby Book is available. Order now at: hondacuby@gmail.com
    31.50 USD incl. Shipping (registered Letter)
    94 Pages, Full color, History, Accessories, Models, Technology